Gilmour Academy is pleased to offer summer camp employment opportunities for our students. As an integral part of preparing students for their transition into real world experiences, we require applicants to complete an application, participate in an interview and, if selected, attend a training sessions prior to the start of summer camp.
This week at Convocation, students who have worked camp in the past, as well as our camp directors, described the responsibilities of a summer camp junior counselor
and explained the hiring process. All information that was presented during Convocation can be found in the portal under “Resources.”
We want to partner with you and your student. We ask that you guide your student as he/she completes the job application, secures references, prepares for the interview, and, after hiring, completes W4, I9 and work permit forms. We ask that parents do not do it for them, but rather, help as they navigate the process.
Camp Gilmour runs for nine (9) weeks from June 1 through July 31. The commitment is for a minimum of three (3) weeks. Please talk with your child about their ability to make this kind of commitment. Have them look at family vacations, summer camps, sport commitments, travel teams, transportation, medical appointments and the stamina required to work with children ages 3-12 from 8:15 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Education or experience: High School diploma must be received or in progress. Previous experience working with children in a structured environment of some capacity desired.
Other qualifications or skills:
- Must be 14 years of age or older
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors
- Ability to relate with one’s peer group
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance
- Ability to assist in teaching activities
- Good integrity, character, attitude and adaptability
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control
- CPR/First Aid Certification (provided during Counselor Training)
- Know and understand ALL emergency and safety procedures associated with the camp program (includes but not limited to being responsible for campers’ safety and whereabouts at all times - taught during Counselor Training)
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, swimming, team building initiatives, physical games and activities.
- This is a paid position ($8.70/hour). A minimum of three (3) weeks of commitment to the camp program is required. Must disclose during the interview process if a vacation or other commitments have been planned.
All information about summer camp positions and the summer camp employment application can be found on the portal under Summer Camp Job Documents
All applications are due Wednesday, February 19, 2020 at midnight.
* If your child worked as a junior counselor in 2019, they have received an email with information to apply for the 2020 season. The response to this email is due Friday, February 14 at midnight. Returning junior counselors will only need to complete the 3-hour training specific to the 2020 season.