Quicklinks
Home >
About Us > History
Tools :
Gilmour Academy email page print page small type large type

Gilmour School Calendar Gilmour NewsGilmour Email

 Gilmour Facebook Gilmour Twitter Gilmour Flickr Gilmour Youtube Gilmour LinkedIn


Our History

For over 65 years, Gilmour Academy has provided an independent, Catholic, college-preparatory education in the Holy Cross tradition.

The Founding of Gilmour Academy

Early Holy Cross Brothers at GilmourIn 1946, nine Brothers of the Congregation of Holy Cross from Notre Dame, Indiana, founded Gilmour Academy in Gates Mills, Ohio.  The Brothers exhibited the courage they hoped to instill in their future students by purchasing and rehabilitating the 133-acre Cedar Hill Farm, which had been largely vacant for nearly 20 years.

Right Reverend Richard Gilmour, second Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland






They named their new school for the second Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland, the Right Reverend Richard Gilmour, a champion of Catholic Education.

 

 

Cedar Hill Farm

Cedar Hill Farm was developed by Cleveland industrialist Francis E. Drury as a progressive working farm.  The centerpiece of the property was an elaborate mansion called Tudor House that recreated the Drury home on Cleveland’s Millionaires' Row.  Br. Theophane Schmitt, C.S.C., and Br. Gonzaga Day, C.S.C., arranged for the purchase of the farm in 1945 and oversaw its development.

 

 

Educating Young Men

An early class at Gilmour Academy

Initially an all-boys school, Gilmour welcomed its first students in the fall of 1946 and held its first graduation in 1950.

 


 

Classes were conducted mostly in Tudor House, but the remaining farm outbuildings were also pressed into service.

Dinner in Tudor House during the 1950s at Gilmour

Glen Oak School

Students from Glen Oak School

In 1968, the Sacred Heart Sisters purchased 35 acres from Gilmour Academy and opened the Glen Oak School in 1969.  Glen Oak, an all-girls school, and Gilmour maintained separate identities, but did offer some shared classes and social opportunities.

Today's Gilmour Academy

Gilmour's Upper Campus today

In 1982 the two schools merged, creating the only Catholic, independent, coeducational college-preparatory school in the region. The Glen Oak School building became the Gilmour Academy Lower School in 1986.

Gilmour Academy has changed over the years, from the creation of its Middle School in 1974 to the continual addition of new facilities.  But it has never strayed from the teaching of Holy Cross founder Blessed Fr. Basil Moreau, C.S.C., “We shall always place education side by side with instruction; the mind will not be cultivated at the expense of the heart.”

An independent school in the Catholic, Holy Cross tradition, inspiring students Pre-K-12

© 2014 Gilmour Academy   |   34001 Cedar Road   |   Gates Mills, Ohio 44040   |   Ph (440) 442-1104   |   Terms of Use   |   Privacy Policy   |  Refund Policy
powered by finalsite